Friday, April 22, 2011

tie-dyed cupcakes!

my first adventure in the kitchen this weekend was to make tie-dyed cupcakes. i used a betty crocker french vanilla cake mix because i think it tastes much yummier than plain ol' white cake. it was time consuming but very easy. mix the cake according to the box, then split it up evenly and dye as many different colors as you want using gel paste food coloring. i used 6 colors. 


then spoon one color at a time into each cupcake well. don't mix them, just layer them!


then bake per the instructions on the cake mix. 


next is the frosting! i used 2 containers of betty crocker vanilla frosting and made 3 different colors.


the directions for icing the cupcakes said to put a spoon of each color next to each other in an icing bag and continue stacking up that way until the bag is full. i didn't exactly do that because, uhh, i don't know how it's possible, but i'm still happy with how it turned out.


my only "issue" is just that the store bought frosting is a little too thin for this decorating method. i don't know how else to describe it but i guess it's a bit runny? anyway, it tastes great!


next i'll tell you how the sugar cookie sandwiches turned out.

come see this post and many others at sweets for a saturday

7 comments:

Kate said...

Beautiful. That is some intense food coloring. We just used the normal liquid stuff tonight with egg-dyeing, and I have blue fingertips.

Lisa said...

Those cupcakes look awesome! I love that colorful effect. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cupcakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-14_22.html

Tim said...

Those cupcakes look wonderful. Very appropriate for spring.

MelissaDaams said...

i use to drive a vw bus and wear tye dye t-shirts, so this cupcakes are right up my alley... i'm putting them on my birthday wish list for this year... in fact, i think i'm gonna do a whole 70's theme thing... yeah, that's gonna rock ;)

Jenn said...

Tie-Dyed cupcakes and frosting are so fun to make.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

WOW, these are impressive! I've seen cakes like this, but I really love the cupcake idea :)

Donna said...

These just made my heart smile, Stefanie:) I'm in love:) Great, great job:) (ps-I found your blog on Sweet as Sugar cookies and it's so great!)