Tuesday, April 12, 2011

time to dust off those decorating skills

when i was in high school i worked at one of those stores in the mall that sells giant cookie cakes. during my time there i was either the best, or second best, decorator of said giant cookie cakes. i haven't done much decorating other than cupcakes in many, many years but i am fairly certain i still have what it takes. i will put myself to the test by making this cake for nels' curious george themed birthday party.


it's very helpful that they dissect each step for you and give you an idea of what shapes you need to draw for each part of the face. i could probably do it freehand with no instructions but i'm glad i don't have to! i'll be using peanut butter frosting for the "caramel frosting" because it's delicious and oh so easy to make. i'm going to bake it in a 9" round pan, i'm not sure why they say to bake it in a bowl but that isn't going to happen. if george's face is flat, i'm sure it won't be the end of the world.

since it's just a small cake i'm also going to make my banana pudding cupcakes because monkeys love bananas, right? i'm actually getting really into planning this whole party. i love to plan things so my sister gladly handed me the reigns. i'm also making "tail" mix (get it?!) with dehydrated banana chips (you know, because monkeys love bananas), chocolate chips (nels loves chocolate chips), golden raisins (because i love golden raisins) and goldfish (who doesn't love goldfish?!). i also had my friend travis send me the recipe he uses for monkey bread, it's amazing!

on sunday night i was reading the curious george entry on wikipedia and i discovered that the very first story published in 1939 was called cecily g. and the nine monkeys. my sister's name is cecily! how weird. and another strange coincidence is that in norway, instead of calling him curious george they call him nysgierrige nils. nils...nels? weird, huh?

1 comment:

Ms. Anne said...

I love your creativity with your cupcakes. I wish I was there so I could volunteer to be a taster.
Anne G from KS